The Whangaparaoa Library provided a coastal setting for some newspaper magic. We were celebrating the three local newspaper titles now available on Papers Past on Wednesday 18 April 2012.
Through Papers Past you can go back 150 years thanks to The Albertland Gazette, 1862-1864.
The first issue was printed on board the Matilda Wattenbach bringing nonconformist settlers to the Kaipara. The Library’s holdings start with the third issue, printed on shore on 1 August 1863.
|Ref: JMB0008, North Auckland Research Centre|
Take a look at Helensville through the lens of the romantically named paper, The Kaipara and Waitemata Echo 1911-1921.
This paper was founded in Helensville by an Australian entrepreneur, Charles de La Roche in 1905 as the Kaipara Advertiser and Waitemata Chronicle.
A sample headline from this paper 100 years ago remains topical:
TRAINS TO HELENSVILLE SPEEDED UP
HELENSVILLE NOT SATISFIEDLa Roche also started the Rodney and Otamatea Times, based in Warkworth. This title continues to flourish as the Rodney Times. The online version of the Rodney Times features Kirsty Webb from the North Auckland Research Centre. Kirsty’s family has strong links to the Kaipara. Her grandfather in pictured in the photograph above – third to the right.
Kirsty outlined the collaborative process led by Paula Legel (North & West Collections Manager) and Christine Chambers (Community Librarian, Te Atatu Peninsula). Their work involved identifying, microfilming and digitising newspapers held across the region -including the Auckland War Memorial Museum and the Alexander Turnbull Library in Wellington. Paula and Christine championed the Kaipara newspapers as a “pilot” on the National Library’s Papers Past site. Try an “any word” search from home. Truly local history is now available as part of this powerful historical resource of over 2 million pages of digitised NZ newspapers.
Author: Wild J