In March 1863, a series of mileposts were installed at one mile intervals along a 22 mile stretch between Auckland’s CBD and the British Army Commissariat in Drury, mostly along Great South Road. They were placed to help Army contract drivers record their daily mileage and each triangular, totara post had the mile number chiseled into its two shorter faces. Automobile Association signs were added to many mileposts or their former locations in the 1960s and these have become popular features in their own right.
|Ref: 1-W92, Looking East from One Tree iIll with the Great South Road in the centre foreground, 1906, Sir George Grey Special Collections|
- the 12 milepost outside 500 Great South Road, Papatoetoe
- the 14 milepost opposite Kerr’s Road, Wiri
- the 15 milepost outside 88 Great South Road, Manurewa
- the 16 milepost outside 272 Great South Road, Manurewa
- the 17 milepost on Great South Road 40m north of Manuia Road, Takanini
- the 18 milepost on Great South Road 150m north of Walters Road, Papakura
- the 20 milepost on Great South Road south of Liverpool Street junction, Papakura
- the 22 milepost outside Drury School.
A few mileposts are scheduled heritage places in the legacy district plans because they are regionally rare reminders of the New Zealand Wars:
- Papakura District Plan - Auckland Council District Plan Operative Papakura Section 1999, Heritage Protection chapter, see p. 10, reference A - milepost in Papakura
- Manukau District Plan - Auckland Council District Plan Operative Manukau Section 2002, Heritage chapter, see p. 33, references122 and 124 - two mileposts in Papatoetoe and p.34, number 148 - one milepost in Manurewa.
Some original remains are held by historical societies but keep your eyes peeled for these posts or signs, probably on verges and under Auckland Transport’s care.
|Ref: 4-8474, Looking SE at the junction of Great South Road and Ellerslie-Panmure Highway, Sir George Grey Special Collections|